Search

Halloween reading comprehension

 Fangy and the garlic soup

We love reading comprehension and Halloween, so this resource is the perfect combination. If you have read my post about Halloween Boom Cards, these Halloween worksheet activities are the greatest addition, and if you haven’t read it, no worries, click here to read. If you do not need an online activity or are not familiar with the Boom Learning platform, these Halloween history worksheets are everything you need to celebrate Halloween in your classroom!

I have created a story about a vampire called Fangy who feels alone and wants to have friends. I usually print the story in color in a big size of paper to read to my students but also I print a white and black version to give to my kids to follow my reading and to give them the chance to read Fangy’s story at home to their parents.

My story is designed to work on reading comprehension with lots of fun and different activities. Some of them -like this comprehension test- have two options to attend to different learning needs. First, I read the story and then I ask my students to answer Halloween story comprehension questions. 

I love Boom Learning and I have created a Halloween story with comprehension questions using Boom Cards. Instead of Halloween reading comprehension worksheets, I like to project the story on the whiteboard to listen to the audios and answer the Halloween listening comprehension activities.

After that, I play a Halloween ESL vocabulary game: Bingo! A fun activity to practice the vocabulary of the story. This bingo includes a vocabulary worksheet, the bingo cards and the bingo template.  Students will choose 9 vocabulary words and they will color and glue them onto the bingo template to play. I choose 9 vocabulary words and if my words match the student’s words, this kid will be the bingo winner.

It is also important to develop critical thinking. Critical thinking questions teach students to utilize bits of information to formulate their own answers! So, I have included lots of activities to give them a chance to think outside of the box. These activities are Halloween story comprehension printables. For example, we do a recipe activity: Fangy’s grandmother is an excellent cook and her specialty is the garlic soup. Kids can create  their own recipe with spooky ingredients after reading the story. The example is in the Spanish version but the English one looks exactly the same.


Moreover, I love creating alternative endings. My students really enjoy listening to their classmates’ stories and they have a lot of fun with their creations. Kids create an alternative ending using this Halloween worksheet pdf which contains a dice as a short story writing prompt generator. There are three dice with short story prompt pictures that will answer who is in story with Fangy, the problem and Fangy’s mood. Color them and make them into dice just by folding the templates. Students will roll the dice and get narrative writing prompts for creating short stories that they will write down in a short story prompt list. So much fun and so creative!

As well as students completing Halloween quiz worksheets, I try to develop their writing skills with these cute little prompts related to the story: If a were a vampire…, What is a spider doing in a witch hat? Or If my grandmother were a witch…The pictures show my Halloween worksheets in Spanish but they are exactly the same in English, a perfect option for a Halloween ESL lesson.

            

Finally, my kids can celebrate Fangy making friends at last with this craftivity! Kids love coloring their Fangy  headband! They look so adorable wearing them!


I hope you like these Halloween comprehension printables. Have a look at the video to check out how I use this Halloween text and comprehension activities. 

Happy Halloween! 

Ms Herraiz.

 

No hay comentarios

Publicar un comentario